Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Expert? Ummm...

I look like I know what I'm doing - right? Well - generally speaking. Toolbox out, hands greasy, arms in engine, parts lying around, all that stuff.

Truth is - I'm on a huge learning curve. There's so much I still don't know, and things I'm figuring out as I go. Having a honking big manual and some online advice certainly helps a lot. But there's things I still don't understand too well, and others I'm learning only by trying. When folk get all technical, I often have to go look it up (bless you Google!). Sometimes I still won't know what they're on about thereafter, but I do know a lot more than I did 2 months ago.

Yes, I get greasy. I get things in my eyes lying underneath the engine. While down there I discover ancient wasps nests and garnered oily dirt hiding bolts. It's a whole different view from above - everything drips down, not up.

I tend to operate on the theory that if someone else can do it, there's a good chance I can too. It may take a bit of trial and error to learn, it may take me a lot longer to get it done - but I'll do it eventually.

As I mentioned yesterday - this is a journey. Of discovery, of learning, of re-prioritizing how my days evolve. Every day a little piece of knowledge gets added to the stores, and I get closer to being an Expert. In at least one thing (even if it's only how to put in an alternator, for now).

No comments: